Purpose of Position: The Practice Manager is responsible for all aspects of non-clinical daily operations within the Veterinary Hospital.
· Ensure patron experiences at the Veterinary Hospital reflect the League’s brand; compassion always
· Attract, select, onboard, develop and coach talent with a commitment to performance, core values, organizational culture, engagement, diversity and inclusivity, personal and professional growth, teamwork, and succession planning
· Provide exceptional customer service, effectively communicating with patrons during high stress situations
· Work closely and collaboratively with the Chief Veterinarian to effectively manage the support services team, doctors, departmental resources, and workflow
· Develop staff schedule and work with Team Leaders to manage daily assignments, ensure completion and the provision of a high standard of care for pets and patrons
· In partnership with Human Resources, create, implement and monitor a training program for all team members that develops the skill and expertise staff need to do their work well
· Manage utilization of department resources to maximize the value, control expenses and minimize waste.
· Manage the financial functions of the hospital, including accounts payable, payroll, daily deposits and patron payment plans; also serve as the primary resource for the finance department as needed
· Assist with developing and monitoring budget including but not limited to reviewing monthly expenses ensuring expenditures stay within the operating budget and explain variances as needed
· Prepare for and host regular meetings and communications with the staff team to share important information and updates, address concerns, celebrate accomplishments and foster teamwork and collaboration
· Ensure Team Leaders properly maintain inventory including controlled substance ordering, tracking, security and destruction
· Serve as a subject matter expert on safety for the location, responsible for understanding and ensuring compliance with OSHA, DEA and FDA, and applicable state and local agencies
· Follow protocols for daily facility maintenance and partner with facilities team regarding repair and maintenance of equipment, building and grounds
· Monitor and evaluate program effectiveness, including statistical analysis, report creation and presentation, and recommend improvements
· Collaborate with other department and organizational leaders in creating organizational alignment and partnership, executing upon organizational initiatives, supporting strategic planning, and ensuring alignment with core values, vision, mission and the strategic plan
· Manage vendor and other relationships with the community
· Represents the organization internally and externally with integrity, serving as an ambassador of the League’s mission and brand
People are the key to fulfilling our mission. Making internal and external patrons and their needs a primary focus is expected in all situations. This position interacts with and collaborates with employees at all levels of the organization. Communication occurs through face to face, telephone, and electronic interactions and may also include contact with the general public and League business partners. Communication and contact must be clear, understandable, cooperative, professional and respectful in all circumstances. Employees are expected to actively support a positive team environment, directly address conflict, and appropriately express concerns.
Competencies are work behaviors and expectations necessary for successful job performance. They encompass knowledge, skills, abilities, attitudes, and actions.
Organizational competencies apply to all jobs at the League; position competencies are specific to this position.
· Integrity & Ethics
· Adapting to Change and Ambiguity
· Customer & Community Focus
· Emotional Intelligence
· Project and Process Management
· Delivering Results
· Developing Direct Reports
· Building and Leading Effective Teams
· Analytical Thinking
· Conflict Management
· Financial Acumen
· Fiscal Responsibility
· Strong Management skills
· People Development
· Project Management
· Strategic Thinking
Work Conditions and Physical Requirements
Performs work both in an office setting and on mobile surgery vehicles. Potentially prolonged periods of sitting and repetitive motion. May work in an area with high noise level. Potentially subject to animal bites and scratches. Exposure to cleaning chemicals, fumes, dust, animal dander, and feces. Frequent standing, stooping and bending and lifting up to 75 lbs. with reasonable accommodation.
Hours: 40 hours per week
Benefits – Please visit our website for a comprehensive list of all offered benefits
Full Time Exempt
· Benefits (medical, dental, and vision)
· Flexible spending accounts
· League-paid Life and Short-Term Disability Insurance
· Paid Time Off (PTO)
· Holiday Pay
Four years of experience in a leadership role within the veterinary industry
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
Bilingual speaking both English and Spanish
Certified Veterinary Practice Manager (CVPM)
Experience working as a Veterinary Technician
Experience working with volunteers and the public
Additional Salary Information: Starting pay commensurate with market, experience, and equity
About Dumb Friends League - Solutions Veterinary Hospital
Join an industry leader! The Dumb Friends League is the largest community-based animal welfare organization in the Rocky Mountain region, and recognized nationally as a model for other animal shelters across the country. Each year, we welcome more than 20,000 homeless pets to our two shelters while our equine center in Franktown takes in abused and neglected horses, ponies, mules and donkeys that have been removed from owners by law enforcement authorities. At all of our facilities, we provide a nurturing environment where animals may find relief from suffering, and opportunities for rehabilitation and adoption.